5 Second look at Arm Candy by Patricia Ryan
A Quick Summary
- Nora does a favor for her cousin, by going on a date with a guy her cousin is trying to impress.
- He likes her but can’t show her, refuses to get close to her. (Or even call her by her first name)
- He finds out she lied to him and breaks up with her. But he comes to his senses in the end.
My Take on the Book :
I liked the twists and turns of this book. This could have easily be predictable. Parts of it were but so much of it wasn’t.
Arm Candy by Patricia Ryan Blurb
David Waite, a wealthy British fundraiser in New York City, knows exactly how to please a woman, but he’s had enough of social climbers and users. His solution? “Arm candy,” a beautiful woman to accompany him as his regular date. She’s to serve as a dazzling accessory, not a prostitute or call girl, with no strings attached, either emotional or sexual. Then he sees Nora, and he finds himself overwhelmed with a craving for sweets…
Nora Armstrong is a wholesome, virginal beauty fresh from the Midwest. Her cousin asks her to go out with David Waite as a favor to advance his event planning business. She can’t say no, any more than she can say no when David asks for a second date, and a third… According to “arm candy” rules, she should be safe… until David decides to break the rules. Suddenly Nora realizes it’s a risky business, being this smoking hot Brit’s faux girlfriend… and falling in love.
My Review of Arm Candy by Patricia Ryan
Nora left behind her small town in the Midwest for the Big Apple. She has a talent for jewelry making and she’s determined to be successful. She is beautiful but has a hard time believing people (men) can see past her appearance.
David is an eligible British philanthropist disillusioned by the women he has been dating. He feels they are only really interested in him for his contacts so that they can build their client list. What does Nora call him?
You have got to be the Lord High Control Freak of the Universe.
He wants nothing to do with knowing Nora. He doesn’t even want to call her “Nora” until after he makes her fear him. (see spoilers)
David Waite, tired of dealing with Manhattan Social Climbers, decides to call in a favor from an event planner vying for his attention. David needs some “arm candy” for a fundraiser and Harlan (event planner) says he has the perfect woman for the job: his cousin, Nora.
Nora left behind her small town in the Midwest for the Big Apple. She has a talent for jewelry making and she’s determined to be successful. After spending hours on a train and beyond exhausted, she discovers what her cousin has arranged for her. She only agrees because it’s to help her cousin and his career … but the more “dates” she goes on with David, the more she cares for him. Even when sexual misunderstandings erupt between them and she gets attacked in Central Park, she can’t deny her feelings for David. Will she come clean and confess everything or will he forever keep her at arms length?
She challenges him in ways he’s never been challenged. He thinks her innocence is just an act but when he discovers it isn’t, she brings out his protective nature.
Arm Candy Spoilers
- The first time we see that David is actually a good guy is when Nora almost gets raped in Central Park. He thinks she is into his advances and even rationalize his behavior up to this point, but when he gets that call from his door man and goes running to her, David finally showed that he was human.
- The “I’m Bob, David’s Twin” train conversation was great. I loved that they kept up the pretense. Learning about David’s life was great and the way it was handled was too. I was rooting for them, until the end of the conversation and Nora tells her secret.